|we are trying to get back ...|
3rd AoF: We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel
Why do we need the Atonement?
- Genesis 3 (God made Adam and Eve - innocent; ate the fruit and separated themselves from God; this created the rupture between humanity and God; the at-one-ment seeks to bring humanity and God together again)
- Exodus 33:12-23 (We cannot see the face of God and live)
- D&C 84:20-22 (Ordinances prepare us to see the face of God and live)
- D&C 19:16-17 (if it weren't for the atonement, we would suffer as Christ did, for our sins)
- 1 Nephi 10:20-21 (no unclean thing can dwell with God)
- 3 Nephi 27:19 (no unclean thing can enter his kingdom)
How can sin be overcome?
- Mosiah 3:7-11 (Christ atones (covers) our sins)
- Genesis 3:21 ('innocent' animals sacrificed, for coats of skin; covered nakedness)
- Leviticus 1:4-5 ('innocent' animal sacrifice to atone / cover our sins)
- Isaiah 53 / Mosiah 14 (Christ is the perfect, innocent human sacrifice; 'with his stripes, we are healed')
- Alma 34:15 (Mercy overpowers Justice)
What is the Law of Justice? (the Gap; the Divide)
- Mosiah 2:38-39 (we feel guilt for the wrongs we've committed)
- D&C 19:15-19 (payment for sins)
- Alma 34:16 (payment for sins)
What is the Law of Mercy? (the Bridge; the Connector)
- Alma 42:23-24 (Mercy for those who follow Christ)
- Alma 34:9 (all would perish, except for Christ)
- 2 Nephi 9:25-26 (Atonement satisfies the demands of Justice)
- 2 Nephi 25:23 (we can be reconciled (joined) with God)
- Alma 11:40 (Christ takes upon him our transgressions)
What other scripture references can you find on the Atonement, that are not up here?
Other scriptures that teach of the Atonement
There are other scriptures that are symbolic of the Atonement
Next week we will discuss parables of the Atonement
Share story of the purchase of our first car; had the old Taurus, just started working, needed a reliable car to get to work. Bought the Galant, had a high interest rate (weeping when I got home); after a year of paying car payment, Jeff heard of interest rate, stepped in, paid it off and I paid him, saving lots of money.
After finding, discussing scriptures, read part of President Faust's talk: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2001/10/the-atonement-our-greatest-hope?lang=eng&query=atonement Focus on the story of the back-woods school / teacher
Assignment for next week "How can I use comparisons to teach others about the Atonement?"
Find 'parables' about the Atonement; from GC talks, from this lesson, books, etc